Comfort and Joy Ministries, Inc.

"God Answers Prayers."

Forums

Forum Home > The Making of You, by Rev Michele Taylor > In a Word (Obey)

Rev. Michele
Site Owner

“But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you” (Jeremiah 7:23).

“Then they that feareth the Lord spake often one to another, and the Lord heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him form them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon His name. And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him. Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth Him not” (Malachi 3:16-18).

When God speaks, we ought to listen. The Lord is constantly speaking to us through His Word, nature and our conscious and subconscious mind. We hear God’s instructions when we read His Word. We hear God speaking to us through the very elements of the earth telling us to prepare for the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. We hear God speaking to our conscious and subconscious mind when He gives us instructions on a daily basis. Regardless of the vehicle the Lord chooses to speak through, we need to listen and adhere. (Hear and Obey, pg 184)

Individually, we all have a purpose in the Body of Christ. We are all essential members joined together by the hands of the Master. Each part of the body of Christ has a special function that when joined together exemplifies the wholeness of God in perfect working order. When each member functions at maximum capacity, the Church Body is more effective. When one member is spiritually weak or cripple, we all suffer.

Our disobedience within the Body of Christ is crippling and causes an imbalance. Someone has to take up the slack for what we are not doing, or are incapable of doing at the time. Which means that someone will be called out of their function and put into another function in order to compensate for the weakened member. The effectiveness of the church may be compromised as a result of our individual and corporate acts of disobedience. (Disobedience within the Body, pg 186)

No one said obedience is easy. Most of us don’t like to be told what to do; not even when it’s the Lord who gives the instructions. It is in our human nature to rebel against authority and instruction because we are the sons and daughters of Adam. However, as born again believers, our old ways are made new.

Obey God: Putting all thins into perspective, we have to let go of some of our old habits and take on the ways of holiness. Holiness requires that we discipline our tongue, our thoughts, our flesh and our actions. When we’ve gained control over these areas, we will be able to hear God speaking to us more clearly, and we will respond more readily.

Obey Leadership: We are commanded to obey our leaders and follow them as they follow Christ. It takes discipline not to rise up against leadership when they themselves are not being obedient to God. Whether or not we agree with our leaders, the Holy Spirit compels us to exercise self-discipline. …In our obedience, we learn submission and humility. God calls our leaders into positions of authority, and He is molding them the same as He is molding us. …When we submit ourselves to the authority of leadership and honor our leaders in their respective office, God will bless us.

Obey Sound Doctrine: To endure sound doctrine and not go with whatever comes our way because it looks and sounds good takes self-control and the knowledge of the Word of God. Which means that we have to discipline ourselves to study the Word of God. Knowing the scriptures and applying them to our lives will help us to stand for righteousness and not buckle under the pressure of wickedness. (Obedience Requires Discipline, pp 187 & 189)

The blessing of obedience is our wellness in God. “But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you” (Jeremiah 7:23). …We are children of the most high God! We are royalty – heirs to the throne. We are His, and none of His will be lost. This is His promise. Therefore, let us obey God and be blessed. Amen. (The Blessing of obedience, pp 190 & 191)

Reflections

1. What did God tell you to do that you have not yet done? What are you going to do now?

2. God is merciful and forgiving. In our disobedience (even rebellion), God can and will forgive us when we ask Him. Ask the Lord to forgive you for your acts of disobedience, and submit to doing His will.

3. Obedience to God brings liberty and peace. When you’ve done what he asks you to do, you will be free, and you will find peace. Walk in His peace.

4. My soul desire is to be used by God. I pray that He will fine me trustworthy so that he can use me.

This is my prayer

“As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the Lord; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seek nor out of the mouth of thy seed’s seed, saith the Lord, from henceforth and forever” (Isaiah 69:21).

Your Word is in my mouth, oh Lord, and your spirit is upon me. I desire to obey your Word; and I desire to do that which you commanded me to do. As Christ obeyed you, even unto death, help me to be obedient that it might be well with my soul. Let your covenant stand in me, and I wills stand in thee. Forgive me when I have fallen short, and restore me unto obedience.

To thee, Oh Lord, be all the glory, majesty and power. In the name of Jesus. Amen.

(Excerpts from The Making of You, by Rev. Michele Taylor)

Available at: www.amazon.com, www.authorhouse.com, www.barnesandnoble.com, www.comfortandjoyministries.com (web store)

E-mail: revmichele@hotmail.com

October 19, 2009 at 7:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.