Comfort and Joy Ministries, Inc.

"God Answers Prayers."

Forums

Forum Home > The Making of You, by Rev Michele Taylor > Backslidden and Risen (Repentence, Resurrection and Restoration)

Rev. Michele
Site Owner

“He restoreth my soul…” (Psalm 23:3).

“For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion” (Romans 9:15).

“Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins” (James 5:19-20).

“Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God” (2 Corinthians 7:1).

To backslide is to turn away, to go back, to err, to be led astray, or seduced away. From a Christian perspective, it means to turn away from God, to go back to sin, to err from the Faith, to be seduced away from righteousness. Believers that backslide are seduced by demonic spirits and led away from the righteousness of God. The seduction, which often results in our yielding to various temptations, causes us to turn back to our sin. (Define Backsliding, Please, pg 110)

God is a God of mercy and compassion. He is able and willing to forgive us and receive us back into the fold. As with Israel, he will declare, “I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from them” (Hosea 14:7). When we return to the Lord, He will heal the desert land of our soul and renew His spirit within us. God’s unconditional love breathes life into a dead and dying nation. There is a nation of backsliders (fallen believers seduced away from God’s love and service) that is yearning to be healed.

The Lord is just and true to His Word. He is waiting patiently to send healing into the land. He is longing for their return. He is calling them one by one by the voice of His spirit speaking to their hearts telling them to come home (as He called me). Herein lies the command for the backslider: Do your first work over. “Remember from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works…” (Revelation 2:5).

If you are one to whom the Holy Spirit now speaks, harden not your heart when you hear His voice. “Wherefore as the Holy Ghost saith, today if ye will hear His voice, harden not your hearts…” (Hebrews 3;7 - 8). This is your opportunity to begin a renewed life in Christ. Repent and start all over again. It’s not too late. The Lord will receive you and heal you of your backslidden condition. In your own resurrection, God is making you into a living testimony. Receive His restoration.

Reflections

1. Are you a backslider? If you are, this is your time for spiritual restoration. God is calling you to come home. You are that lost sheep that Jesus came to find. You are the beloved of God, and He is looking for your return. Repent and come home. The Lord is waiting just for you.

2. So you don’t want to go back to "that church.” You don’t have to. There’s a church where you fit in. No one knows your past or your present. You can have a new beginning in a new land. Let the Lord direct your path to that place of fellowship.

3. I know you’ve been hurt, but it’s time to get over it. God has a work for you to do- my sister and my brother. Rise up and do the work that you were called to do.

This is my prayer

“Blessed is he whose transgressions is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile…I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin” (Psalm 32: 1-2, 5)

There is no sin hidden from you, oh Lord. I admit that I have sinned and fallen short of your glory. I turned my back on you. I’ve ignored your precepts. I’ve dishonored your calling in my life. Please forgive me. Take me back and restore my faith. Raise me with your right hand and renew your spirit within me. Heal my desert land.

I rejoice in the resurrection of my soul. I gladly speak of your mercies made known to me. Thou are divine -- the giver of life. You breathed life into my dying spirit. Praises to be to God in the highest. Praises to the God of mercy. Amen.

(Excerpts from The Making of You, by Rev. Michele Taylor)

Available at: www.amazon.com, www.authorhouse.com, www.barnesandnoble.com, www.comfortandjoyministries.com (web store)

E-mail: revmichele@hotmail.com

October 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.