Comfort and Joy Ministries, Inc.

"God Answers Prayers."

Forums

Forum Home > The Making of You, by Rev Michele Taylor > When the Tempter Comes (Temptation)

Rev. Michele
Site Owner

"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able: but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it” (I Corinthians 10:122-13).

“As for God, his way is perfect: the Word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. For who is God save the Lord? Or who is a rock save our God? It is God that girdith me with strength, and maketh my way perfect” (Psalm 18:30-32)

Temptation is a lie that appeals to man’s innate desire to be like God – as man is created in the image of God. Temptation is a lie orchestrated by the father of the lie. The devil is a liar and the father of all lies. That’s who he is and what he does. He’s been telling lies from the very beginning, and he’ll continue to tell lies until the end of his time. He lies to us every day, and in every way that appeals to man.

The moment Adam gave in to the temptation to know what God knows; the moment of his disobedience, his nakedness was revealed. “And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked…” (Genesis 3:7). (The moment we disobey God, our nakedness is revealed.) Immediately Adam and Eve’s eyes were opened, and the world as they knew it changed right in front of them. Instantly, they were consumed by spiritual death and awakened to their carnality. (Lies, Lies and More Lies, pp 95 – 97)

Temptation comes as a trying of our faith. As long as we are trying to serve God, we will be tempted. We have to trust that God can and will deliver us no matter how great or small the temptation. We have to ask God to give us the power to resist. The power of God within us enables us to resist, if we choose to resist. Should we yield to the temptation, we can ask God to forgive us, and He will. Try the forgiving nature of God. He proves Himself to be true to His Word every time. (Trust God, pg 105)

Reflections

1) Do you remember the first temptation you were confronted with when you accepted Christ? What did you do?

2) What was your most recent temptation? What did you do?

3) What have you learned about God and yourself during your temptation and your deliverance?

4) God is making you in the midst of the temptation. Allow Him to do this work in you. He will help you to overcome.

This is my prayer

“Count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire wanting nothing” (James 1:2-3)

Lord, save me from myself, the lust of my eyes and the desires of my flesh. Save me from disobedience, imaginations and corrupt thoughts, pre-meditated sin and deception. Help me to trust you, Lord, and never doubt your ability to deliver me from temptation.

Help me to watch and pray. Keep my eyes open so that I can see when the tempter comes. Build a fortress of integrity in me so that my life reflects the image in which I was created. If I fall, please God, don’t allow me to stay down. Give me a repentant heart so that I will always seek your face with humbleness and brokenness. My confidence is in you to restore me should I yield to temptation.

Thank you; Lord, for working your patience into me. Thank you for your saving grace and keeping power. I bless you, Father, for keeping your hand upon me when the tempter comes. Amen.

(Excerpts from The Making of You, by Rev. Michele Taylor)

Available at: www.amazon.com, www.authorhouse.com, www.barnesandnoble.com, www.comfortandjoyministries.com (web store)

E-mail: revmichele@hotmail.com

October 22, 2009 at 11:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.